Development work in this period has focused on the revision of the ENVIRONMENT hierarchy, and of terms related to sexuality. The latter work is still in progress.
Out of the 14 available languages, all have been updated, with the exception of Spanish, Danish and Czech. Translation of Preferred Terms for all target languages is between 98-100% complete. The following changes were made to the English source language version:
- 19 new concepts
- 4 deleted concepts
- 9 relabelled Preferred Terms
- 37 new Entry Terms
- 11 deleted Entry Terms
- 22 new or changed Definitions
- 7 new or changed Scope Notes
- 54 changes to the Broader/Narrower Concepts
- 58 changes to Related Concepts
- 32 new or changed History Notes
- New concepts include ENVIRONMENTAL AWARENESS, BIODIVERSITY, EMISSIONS TRADING, CARBON OFFSETTING, WEATHER HAZARDS, NON-BINARY PERSONS, and LGBTQI+
- Deleted concepts: CONSERVATION, QUALITY, ENVIRONMENTAL DEGRADATION (now an Entry Term of ENVIRONMENTAL CHANGES), and PERSISTENT ORGANIC POLLUTANTS (now an Entry Term for POLLUTANTS)
- Relabelled Preferred Terms include GENDER IDENTITY instead of SEXUAL IDENTITY, and DISCRIMINATION ON THE BASIS OF SEXUAL ORIENTATION instead of DISCRIMINATION AGAINST HOMOSEXUALS
- New Entry Terms include TELECOMMUTING, REMOTE WORKING and E-WORKING as Entry Terms for TELEWORK, and COVID-19 VACCINATION for VACCINATION
- Deleted Entry Terms: include TRUTH, HONESTY and TRUSTWORTHINESS as Entry Terms for TRUST
- New or changed Definitions include the addition of Definitions to the following two terms: ENVIRONMENTAL AWARENESS (AWARENESS AND UNDERSTANDING OF THE ENVIRONMENT AND ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES, AND OF THE IMPACT HUMAN ACTIONS HAVE ON THESE) and BIODIVERSITY (BIOLOGICAL DIVERSITY, ESPECIALLY AT ECOSYSTEM, SPECIES AND GENETIC LEVEL)
- New or changed Scope Notes include GENDER IDENTITY (DO NOT CONFUSE WITH THE TERMS ‘SEX’ OR ‘SEXUAL ORIENTATION’.)
- Broader/Narrower Concept changes include the change of the Broader Concept of SMOKING RESTRICTIONS from POLLUTION CONTROL to PUBLIC HEALTH, and the Broader Concept of DROUGHTS from WEATHER to WEATHER HAZARDS
In addition to these changes, some housekeeping work was carried out. Note fields have been revised to make sure that thesaural elements within them comply with Skosmos terminology (for example, terms previously referred to as ‘Use For terms’ are now ‘Entry Terms’).
Definition Sources have also been revised. They are now only assigned to ELSST Definitions that match the language of the source from which they are drawn, and not to Definitions that have been translated in-house.