A major focus in the latest content development phase of ELSST was to increase diversity and inclusivity of our terms. Our approach is outlined in our new Inclusivity statement and described in a presentation we gave at the International Association for Social Science Information Service and Technology (IASSIST) 2023 conference in May.
This release also includes the revision of the CIVIL STATUS hierarchy, and the introduction of new terms reflecting changes in working and learning/teaching environments associated with the Covid pandemic.
All language versions have been updated except for Danish and Romanian where no new translations have been added to this release. Translation of Preferred Terms for all target languages is between 96-100% complete.
The following changes were made to the English source language version:
- 33 new concepts
- 23 deprecated concepts
- 18 relabelled Preferred Terms
- 67 new Entry Terms
- 17 deleted Entry Terms
- 55 new or changed Definitions
- 4 new or changed Scope Notes
- 89 changes to the Broader/Narrower Concepts
- 79 changes to Related Concepts
- 87 new or changed History Notes
- New concepts include the following terms: HYBRID EDUCATION, HYBRID WORK, DIGITAL NOMADS, CIVIL PARTNERSHIP DISSOLUTION, DATA BREACHES
- Deprecated concepts: METHODOLOGY terms have been deprecated, as well as the following terms: SENILE DEMENTIA, ILLEGITIMATE PERSONS, BEREAVEMENT (replaced by the new term GRIEF), VAGRANTS (replaced by the new term HOMELESS PERSONS), OUTWORK (replaced by HOME-BASED WORK) and OUTWORKERS (replaced by HOME-BASED WORKERS)
- Relabelled Preferred Terms include the following: BIRTHS OUTSIDE OF A MARRIAGE OR CIVIL PARTNERSHIP instead of ILLEGITIMATE BIRTHS, CIVIL STATUS instead of MARITAL STATUS, INDIGENOUS PEOPLES instead of INDIGENOUS POPULATIONS, IRREGULAR MIGRANTS instead of ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS
- New Entry Terms include ALCOHOL ADDICTION as Entry Term for
ALCOHOLISM and HYBRID LEARNING as Entry Term for HYBRID EDUCATION
- Deleted Entry Terms: include ALIENS as Entry Term for FOREIGNERS and DISSOLUTION OF CIVIL PARTNERSHIP as Entry Term for MARRIAGE DISSOLUTION
- New or changed Definitions include the addition of Definitions to the following two terms: FOOD BANKS (NON-PROFIT, CHARITABLE ORGANIZATIONS THAT DISTRIBUTE FOOD TO THOSE IN NEED) and STREET CHILDREN (CHILDREN WHO DEPEND ON THE STREETS TO LIVE AND/OR WORK, WHETHER ALONE OR WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY)
- Broader/Narrower Concept changes include the change of the Broader Concept of SEPARATED from FAMILY COHESION to CIVIL STATUS, and the Broader Concept of COHABITATION from SOCIAL BEHAVIOUR to COHABITING